A great deal of expertise has been obtained on open access to academic publications, but more work is needed to explore and reach consensus on how open science can evolve. For example, there are issues on costs, data protection and data sharing.
All relevant stakeholders should agree on a European roadmap for reaching consensus on open science, reinforcing Europe's competitiveness in science.
- National authorities: establish a national plan for open science.
- European Commission: work together with all stakeholders to facilitate EU policies that add value to open science.
- Research funders and Research Performing Organisations: identity the appropriate platforms to further develop open science policies and elaborate a European roadmap.
- All actors: foster stronger relations between science, society and business actors to accelerate innovation and encourage sharing of new/effective ideas.
Expected positive effects
- Coherent and transparent plans for open science will reinforce Europe's competitiveness, and lead to better quality science and benefits for society.