It is our ambition to let SURFsecureID grow into the default strong authentication solution for Dutch education and research institutions. The following activities are planned:
- More fine-grained authorization: allow RAs and RAAs users to work for more multiple institutions
In development. Planned in 2019Q4.
- Study integration options for Microsoft Azure MFA with SURFsecureID
Preliminary research is done. POC planned.
- Remote registration facility
Preliminary research is done. POC phase has started.
- Full self-service registration
Supporting low level of assurance by eliminating the identification and activation process. Not yet planned.
- Support OpenID Connect
This will piggyback on the planned integration of SURFsecureID in SURFconext. Planned for november 2019.
- User deprovisioning, i.e. remove token registrations that have not been used for a long time
- Improve integration of SURFsecureID with legacy applications
- Use Azure MFA as a token for SURFsecureID
- Support for IRMA tokens
- Support for FIDO2 / WebAuthn tokens
In development. Pilot expected in 2019Q4
In addition to these more innovative activities, we will continue to improve our service:
- Functional improvement of Registration portal, RA Management portal, supporting processes and documentation
- Grow the number of connected Identity Providers and Service Providers
- Best practices on SURFsecureID implementations
- Knowledge dissemination on strong authentication, Levels of Assurance, etc.
- Periodic security audit
Activities and priorities in this road map may change over time depending on input of our members. We encourage you to engage in our periodic SURFconext meetings or contact us at email@example.com to discuss your strong authentication needs.
Released or old roadmap items:
- Support context-based strong authentication
Finished a Proof of context using SURFconext Authorization service (PDP)
- Support multiple tokens per user
Released 12 juli 2018
- Facilitate the re-use of tokens from commercial vendors
We created an interface (GSSP), php library and example that facilitates adding new token types to stepup
Released 12 september 2018
- Support for U2F tokens
Developed, waiting for browser support, and standardisation