Looking for end-user documentation? That can be found here.
What advantages does SURFconext offer for my organization?
The group of organizations (check out our connected IdP's) in The Netherlands who use SURFconext, consist of universities, university hospitals and tertiary medical teaching hospitals, universities of applied sciences, research institutions and senior secondary vocational education institutions. Together they represent a group of about 1.5 million users. These users generate millions of logins per month and use over a thousand different cloud services. SURFconext allows users to have access to services offered by multiple Service Providers using only 1 account. Besides this, SURFconext facilitates online collaboration in the cloud. This can be done between users of the same organization as well as users between different organizations.
If you connect your organization to SURFconext, you will enjoy the following advantages:
- By connecting to SURFconext only once, you can easily provide users access to any of the connected services.
- You don't have to implement and maintain a custom made connection to each service or Service Provider separately.
- You can regulate authorization for entire groups of students and employees easily.
- The number of available services is growing by the day, since more and more organizations choose to use SURFconext.
- You can integrate your internal authorization resources with SURFconext.
- Integrates perfectly with SURFsecureID for strong authentication.
- Easy integration of services thanks to open standards.
- Also available on mobile devices.
For end users
- Simple, secure access to cloud services with the institution's account. In other words, no need for separate user accounts with the hassle of passwords for individual services
- Single sign-on: authenticate once, and as long as your session is valid (often a day), you can access other SURFconext connected services without signing in again.
- We try to minimize what data the Service Provider receives in order to protect your privacy. We can even replace identifiers with pseudonyms for extra privacy.
- It is always clear with which services your data is being shared, on your SURFconext profile page.
- Access to services from the international education and research community.
- Easily prove your relation to (an) institution(s).
Why should I connect to SURFconext?
With the above mentioned advantages and the fast growing number of available cloud services, the advantages to connect to SURFconext are obvious. Most organizations consider to use these services combined with internally hosted services. Besides this, organizations want to offer a secure environment where both internal and external services can be used side by side. Important elements for this are Single Sign-On, trusted identity and collaboration in groups and teams. Organizations are looking for possibilities to integrate these different kinds of applications. SURFconext offers a starting points to do so.
Connecting to SURFconext is not that hard and easier than you might think. However, if you have any questions you can get in touch with us for answers to all of your questions about SURFconext. We prefer to be contacted by mail at email@example.com. Support by mail allows us to send and receive links, screenshots, metadata and lot's more, helping us answer to answer your questions more efficiently. If you think this doesn't work for you or you are having trouble formulating your question and prefer to talk to us directly, we will give you a call. Send us a mail with your contact information, including your phone number of course, and we will get back to you.