18 April 2009
Start of version 3.0. Based on NEEO document "MPEG21 DIDL Application Profile for Institutional Repositories" version 0.4, which is based on "MPEG21 DIDL Document Specifications for repositories" version 2.3.1. See also history. Note that this is the first version of this document. The version number (3.0) indicates that it is more recent and more up-to-date than the predecessors on which it is based by having a higher number than their latest versions.
- Less strict remarks on the location of the namespace declarations.
- The number of Descriptors is unlimited.
- Type of a Digital Item is expressed as an URI being the value of the rdf:resource attribute of a rdf:type element.
- Type statements are also allowed at the top level.
- Instead of using not yet registered terms from info:eu-repo/semantics/, the terms from the Eprints Access Rights Vocabulary must be used for expressing the accessibility of an object
- For the date of deposit of an object in a repository dcterms:dateSubmitted is to be used (was dcterms:issued)
22 Januari 2008
Minor change in the schema path. ISO changed the path .../dii.xsd/dii.xsd to .../dii/dii.xsd
Minor change in the examples the mimetype for humanStartPage resources changed from "application/html" to "text/html". "application/html" is not a valid mimetype.
05 December 2007
Changes to stress the use of Persistent Identifiers in the DIDL document. The addition of the ORE compliant info:eu-repo namespace
23 May 2007
Some changes and little tweaks.
23 March 2007
Added comment of Peter van Huisstede, small corrections in the example XML.
6 March 2007
The Committee for Complex Objects looked at this document and came with more elegant improvements. Thanks to: Thomas Place, Renze Brandsma, Henk Ellermann, Peter van Huisstede and Ruud Bronmans.
20 February 2007
A closer look at the recommendations of Herbert vd Sompel gave more insight in the DIDL semantics, and thus leading to a better XMLspecification.
2 January 2007
Fundamental change of element and attribute use; for better representation of the semantics.
Additional texts for driver guidelines from Martin Feijen, new DIDL according to comments of Herbert vd Sompel, new DIDL schema. (http://purl.lanl.gov/STB-RL/schemas/2006-09/DIDL.xsd)
4 December 2006
Translated into English for DRIVER
11 July 2006
Few typos are removed.
10 July 2006
- Version numbering and information
- Complete namespace declaration in 'metadata'-item.
- The three Items are not case sensitively discriminated by: metadata, objects and jump-off-page.
- Extended explanation about the use of Namespace-declarations.
30 March 2006
- Some minor editorial changes
- 3.3.2 - Object File Item
- Addition of deposit date as a <dcterms:issued>
- Vocabulary for <dcterms:accessRights>
Only minor changes
- One or more object files is changed in zero, one or more object files
- Removed example; has to be replaced by a new example.
Changes with respect to version 2.3.1 of "MPEG21 DIDL Document Specifications for repositories" by Maurice Vanderfeesten (SURF)
- Relaxed the requirement that the top Item identifier must be persistent.
- More strict formulation for Item identifiers not being the same as the OAI identifier and the DIDL document identifier.
- Replaced dip:objectType by rdf:type.
- The use of simple Dublin Core is not mandatory and is not even recommended.
- MODS is the recommended metadata scheme.
- Left out all references to 'work' or 'expression'.
- Item elements stand for Digital Items (they are Digital Item Declarations). Type statements (using rdf:type) type the Digital Items.
- The use of identifiers (URIs) for Digital Items is mandatory.
- Added new semantics: publishedVersion|authorVersion, embargo, description, access rights.